Perspectives sur l’inflation : Qu’est ce qui a changé ?
- Detailed inflation outlooks last year forecast subdued inflation in 2020 and 2022, with a short-lived bounce in 2021. For most economies we stick to that view.
- In the US, the outlook has changed following huge fiscal stimulus, bringing forward the prospect of recovery. The Federal Reserve has also changed its inflation target.
- Faster US growth would close the output gap sooner. This will drive inflation higher, but ‘cyclical’ price pressures constitute just 40% of the inflation basket with healthcare, housing and other price components making up the rest. We forecast PCE core inflation to close 2021 at 1.8%, 2022 at 2.0% and 2023 at 2.3%.
- Changes to the Fed’s reaction function should also lift inflation expectations adding further upside risks. We see inflation rising more quickly than the Fed and expect policy tightening in 2023, ahead of the Fed’s outlook.
- Outside the US, spare capacity, stable energy prices and a softening dollar should subdue inflation. Emerging markets face larger upside risks given greater food price exposure and the risks of sharp currency drops.
This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment research or financial analysis relating to transactions in financial instruments as per MIF Directive (2014/65/EU), nor does it constitute on the part of AXA Investment Managers or its affiliated companies an offer to buy or sell any investments, products or services, and should not be considered as solicitation or investment, legal or tax advice, a recommendation for an investment strategy or a personalized recommendation to buy or sell securities.
It has been established on the basis of data, projections, forecasts, anticipations and hypothesis which are subjective. Its analysis and conclusions are the expression of an opinion, based on available data at a specific date. All information in this document is established on data made public by official providers of economic and market statistics. AXA Investment Managers disclaims any and all liability relating to a decision based on or for reliance on this document. All exhibits included in this document, unless stated otherwise, are as of the publication date of this document. Furthermore, due to the subjective nature of these opinions and analysis, these data, projections, forecasts, anticipations, hypothesis, etc. are not necessary used or followed by AXA IM’s portfolio management teams or its affiliates, who may act based on their own opinions. Any reproduction of this information, in whole or in part is, unless otherwise authorised by AXA IM, prohibited.
This document has been edited by AXA INVESTMENT MANAGERS SA, a company incorporated under the laws of France, having its registered office located at Tour Majunga, 6 place de la Pyramide, 92800 Puteaux, registered with the Nanterre Trade and Companies Register under number 393 051 826. In other jurisdictions, this document is issued by AXA Investment Managers SA’s affiliates in those countries.
In the UK, this document is intended exclusively for professional investors, as defined in Annex II to the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive 2014/65/EU (“MiFID”). Circulation must be restricted accordingly.
© AXA Investment Managers 2021. All rights reserved